James E. Miller was born on September 28, 1901, in Everett Springs, Georgia. A 1923 graduate of Stephenville High School, he attended John Tarleton College until 1925. Then he began his teaching career at Gannawar Rural School near Sweetwater. In 1926 JE taught at Champion Rural School, southwest of Roscoe. He moved to Hale Center High School in 1928 where he served as principal for four years and as superintendent for ten years. He received his Bachelor of Science in history from Texas Tech in 1930 and his Master of Education Degree in 1937.
JE was a civilian employee of the Army Air Corps at Amarillo Air Force Base during World War II. He was a technical instructor in aircraft instruments. He spent one year in Denver, Colorado, at Lowery Air Force Base.
James E. Miller and Lela Pearl Rampy were married in Hale Center on May 29, 1930. They became the parents of three sons, James W., Charles L., and Ralph E. MIller.
Mr. Miller came to Canyon High School as principal in 1947. He held this position until 1964. While at CHS, he was instrumental in starting the band program and the tennis program; he believed that students should have a choice of other extra curricular activities in addition to football and basketball. From 1964 until 1967, he served CISD as the curriculum coordinator.
After retiring from education in 1967, JE sold life insurance and mutual funds for Hamilton. He retired from this business in 1974.
He was a member of the First Baptist Church where he taught an adult Sunday School Class for 26 years. Mr. Miller also held membership in many educational associations including CCTA, TSTA, NEA, PTA, TASSP, NASSP, Phi Delta Kappa, and TRTA. He was also active in Canyon"s Masonic Lodge, Rotary Club, Lions Club, Senior Citizens, and Panhandle Heritage Association.
James E. Miller passed away on his 94th birthday in 1995.