Dear Substitute Teacher Applicants:
We appreciate your interest in substitute teaching with Canyon ISD. If you are disabled, please advise the district of any need for a reasonable accommodation.
If you need assistance completing the application, you may:
· REQUIRED: Employment Verification documents for the I-9 Form – click here to see acceptable document types
· Official College Transcript (Bachelor’s degree or higher) – required for degreed substitute rate
· Voided check or savings deposit slip – used to being direct deposit for paychecks
The daily rate of pay is established each year by the CISD Board of Trustees. The substitute pay schedule effective September 1, 2006 is as follows:
Non-degreed Substitutes: $60 per day
Degreed* Substitutes: $65 per day
Canyon ISD Certified Retired Teachers: $75 per day
As of January 1, 2008 substitutes will receive an extra $10 per day on Fridays.
* A degreed substitute is defined as one who holds a bachelors, masters or doctorate degree. Degreed substitutes must provide an official transcript to be eligible for the degreed substitute pay rate. If you hold a teaching certificate, but do not have a degree, you are not eligible for the degreed substitute pay rate. The degree substitute pay rate will begin on the date the Human Resources office receives the official transcript and shall not be retroactive.
Long Term Substitute Pay
Board Policy DPB (Local) states:
“Substitutes certified in the area in which they are teaching shall be paid a daily rate based on the current local salary schedule for a first-year teacher when the certified substitute has worked at least 20 consecutive days for the same teacher. The new rate will begin with the 21st day and shall not be retroactive.”
What this means to you is that any substitute used for a long-term assignment could be eligible for long-term sub pay if they meet these criteria:
· They must be certified the same as the employee absent, covering the appropriate grade level for the assignment.
· They may not miss any days within the assignment, thereby noted as consecutive days in policy (Note: It has been allowed that the sub can miss one day for an emergency situation and still be eligible)
· Absences required by the district for Professional Development, Conferences, or Workshops do not count against the 20 day requirement
On the 21st consecutive day of the assignment, the substitute’s daily rate would increase to the daily rate of a first year teacher. This rate would continue through the remainder of the assignment as long as the days of service are consecutive and is not retroactive.
If you should miss any more than one day within the assigned period, the 20 day count will begin again. If you have any questions, please contact Lynn at 806-677-2657.
Paychecks are issued to substitute teachers every two weeks and are mailed to your home. If you are interested in having your paycheck automatically deposited into your bank account, please contact Human Resources for the appropriate form. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact the Human Resources Office.
AESOP: Automated Substitute Educational Substitute Operator
Canyon ISD utilizes an automated substitute calling system called AESOP. This system requires all substitutes to have an ID number and PIN number in order to accept substitute assignments. This information will be given to substitutes during or after the required substitute training.