The Canyon Independent School District Teacher of the Year program annually recognizes two teachers who are representative of all the outstanding teachers the district is privileged to employ. Consistent with the state and national Teacher of the Year processes, the following criteria are used in selecting CISD’s Elementary and Secondary Teachers of the Year:
- a concern for students and the capability to inspire them;
- a pattern of strengthening the teaching profession through such roles as working cooperatively with peers, mentoring, and serving as a leader;
- a dedication to professional development, as both a learner and a leader; the desire to stay informed of current educational theories and practices;
- a history of making significant contributions to the educational community outside the classroom and to the community at large, playing active roles in service-oriented involvement;
- the willingness and ability to be a spokesperson for public education;
- plans to remain in Canyon ISD during the coming school year;
- commitment to the possibility of moving through the Region 16, Texas, and National Teacher of the Year process of selected at those levels.